Sunday, November 19, 2006

Mortifying Moment

When I entered the staffroom at day’s end, the giggling stopped.

This was my first week of teaching at a secondary school for special education students. I had been hired to teach Retail Sales.

I sat down and one of the teacher’s remarked, “I noticed your students put the final touches on your display for the fall window.”

“Yes, didn’t they do a marvellous job?" "I was very pleased first period this morning with my grade ten class.”

“When was the last time you checked the window?” another teacher inquired.

I had assigned a senior grade ten class the task of assembling the props and completing the large display window that everyone walked past coming into the school or changing classes during the day.

“Right after they finished it at ten this morning,” I replied.

The chuckling recommenced.

“Perhaps you should go and take a second look,” another staff member suggested.

As recommended, I walked to the show windows that I had been so tickled about earlier.

The male mannequin had the skirt hiked up to the top of the legs of the female mannequin revealing her bikini underwear. His fly had been unzipped with his left hand on the girl’s privates. Her right hand was inside his pants. The sign behind the dummies heads read, “Discovery and Learning.”